Friday, November 13, 2009

I'm reading Profit Over People by Noam Chomsky right now. He's so controversial, right? I really don't have a strong opinion about him either way. I had a friend in college that really loved him, and even dressed up like him on Halloween once. But I don't feel that way. I do however think learning as much about neo-liberalism as possible is an excellent idea at such a time like this. I don't believe humans are going to find the solutions to the problems of the world, but shouldn't we, in the name of love, help prevent suffering as much as possible?

So, anyways, I'm reading Profit Over People and both love it and hate it. I love that I'm learning so much and have an insight into politics and social change from a perspective not held by many. But I hate that it exposes the misdeeds and greed of people I want to be able to trust. Remember when you didn't know anything about politics, when you were say 8 years old? I remember it well. Because I cried when George H.W. Bush left the White House. He had been President my whole life and I was sad it was no more. I was so ignorant and innocent, and loved him deeply for no reason but that he was my President and I thought it was really special. Oh, and I loved Barbara and her amazing white hair too. Seriously, ignorance is bliss sometimes.

I have no real life application or anything, only noting that learning is wonderful, but sometimes I just want to pretend I don't know anything at all.


No comments: